Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Webb's Chicken & Dumplings Webb's Country Kitchen
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Boil chicken in 3 qts.
- water, with 1 teaspoons salt, until done.
- Remove skin and debone.
- Strain broth.
- Chop chicken, set both aside.
- In large mixing bowl add flour and shortening.
- Mix until crumbly.
- Add eggs.
- Mix by hand until dough ball forms.
- Add milk a little at a time, till ball forms.
- Separate into 4 balls.
- On floured surface roll out each ball, using enough flour to keep rolling pin from sticking.
- Roll out as thin as possible.
- Cut into 1" squares.
- Sprinkle with flour and using large knife scrape dumplings from surface and into floured bowl.
- In 6 quart pot bring broth to a rolling boil.
- Add 2 or 3 drops yellow food color (optional).
- Begin dropping dumplings into pot a handful at a time, keeping them separated, so as not to have clumps.
- Stir from bottom of pot occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Fill the pot with dumplings.
- When broth begins to thicken and most is absorbed, stir often from bottom.
- Cook another 10 minutes this way.
- Remove from burner.
- Add chopped chicken.
- Cover for 5 minutes, then ready to serve.