Recipe by Ducky
Saw a picture of these cookies in the cookbook "Silly Snacks, Classroom Treats, Cookie Dough Fun" and thought they would be perfect for a barbecue. I've made them and they are tasty and folks think they are fun. Cook time does not include chill time.
- 2 (18 ounce) packages refrigerated sugar cookie dough, divided
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- green food coloring
- red food coloring
- mini chocolate chip
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove cookie dough from wrappers and place in separate bowls and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add 1/4 C flour and green food coloring to 1 bowl.
- Beat at medium speed until well blended and evenly colored.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Add remaining 1/4 C flour and red food coloring to other bowl and mix at medium speed until well blended and evenly colored.
- Roll red dough into 9-inch log, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove green dough from plastic wrap, then roll between 2 sheets of wax paper into 9x8-inch rectangle.
- Remove red dough from plastic wrap and place in center of green dough rectangle.
- Wrap green dough around red log and press seams together, rolling to smooth out log and seams.
- Wrap log in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove log from platic wrap and cut into 3/8-inch thick slices.
- Cut each slice in half and place on ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart, reshaping as necessary.
- Press in mini chocolate chips to make watermelon seeds.
- Bake 8-11 minutes or until set.
- Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet and then remove to wire racks to cool completely.