Recipe by drbecca26
This came from an old issue of Martha Stewart Living...can't remember just which one. This recipe takes some time and effort, but feels so decadent with the watermelon "ice" cubes, it's totally worth the trouble. Nice on a summer afternoon to sip one of these on the deck and imagine that Martha might unwind in the same way...LOL!
Top Review by AmandaInOz
Yum! You've got to love Martha. Those frozen watermelon cubes are perfection. Very enjoyable, refreshing cocktail. Perfect for a warm day. Thanks for posting drbecca26! Made for PAC Fall 2009.
- 7 1⁄2 lbs seedless watermelon, rind removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 6 ounces silver tequila (I used Patron)
- 24 basil leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 3 ounces triple sec
- 6 cups small ice cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 24 watermelon cubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Cover and freeze at least 1 hour, or up to 2 days.
- Puree remaining watermelon and the sugar in a blender until smooth. Pass through a sieve lined with cheesecloth into a bowl. You should have 3 cups.
- Place tequila and basil in a glass pitcher and crush with a wooden spoon. Stir in watermelon juice and triple sec.
- Place watermelon "ice" cubes in glasses. Using cocktail shaker, mix 3/4 cup margarita with 1 cup ice. Strain into a glass. Repeat. Serve garnished with basil.