1/10 Photos of Water Bagels (Plain)
1 hr 52 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Posted in reply to a message board request. This is a recipe for plain, "NYC style", water bagels. IMHO, this recipe makes a very good bagel. I've had this recipe for some 40+ years, and I'm clueless as to where/who I originally got it from. Prep time includes the rising time. Note: The natural minerals in your local tap water will make a difference in the end product.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl thoroughly mix 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast.
- 2Gradually add warm water to dry ingredients and beat for 2 minutes with electric mixer (at medium speed), scrape bowl occasionally.
- 3Add 1/2 cup flour.
- 4Beat at high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl.
- 5Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough (about 2 to 2 1/2 cups).
- 6Turn dough on to a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- 7Place dough in ungreased bowl, cover and let rise in warm, draft free place for 20 minutes.
- 8(Dough will NOT be doubled in bulk.) Punch dough down and turn out on to a lightly floured board.
- 9Roll dough into a rectangle, 12 x 10 inches.
- 10Cut dough into 12 equal strips, 1 x 10 inches each.
- 11Pinch ends of strips together to form a circle.
- 12Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- 13Cover and let rise in warm, draft free place for 20 minutes.
- 14(Dough will NOT be doubled in bulk.) In a large shallow pan, boil a 1 3/4 inch depth of water.
- 15Lower heat and add a few bagels at a time.
- 16Simmer bagels for 7 minutes (3 1/2 minutes on each side).
- 17Remove bagels from water and place on a towel to cool.
- 18Cool bagels for 5 minutes, then place them on ungreased baking sheets.
- 19Bake bagels at 375°F for 10 minutes.
- 20In a small bowl, beat egg white with cold water.
- 21Remove bagels from oven and brush with egg white/water mixture.
- 22Return bagels to oven and bake about 20 minutes longer, or until done.
- 23Remove bagels from baking sheets and cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Water Bagels (Plain)
Serving Size: 1 (967 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.2
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 588.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 4.8 g