Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 mins
Serve warm dusted with powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- vegetable oil, for frying (about 2 cups)
- 12 large ripe figs, stems trimmed (or 16 small ripe figs)
- powdered sugar
- In a bowl, whisk the milk and egg together; stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the oil in a heavy deep skillet or saucepan over medium heat until it is hot enough to sizzle and brown a crust of bread (about 365°).
- Using tongs, dip the figs, one at a time, into the batter, turning to thickly coat.
- Fry 1-2 fritters at a time in the hot oil until golden all over, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain the fritters briefly on a double layer of paper towels; then transfer to a wire rack and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar; serve warm.