Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a wonderful side dish! It's crunchy on top and creamy in the center.This won a blue ribbon at county fair and second place in several other fairs! Great side dish for anytime, but usually on our Holidays. It is a much requested Family recipe! As a side dish it makes a great presentation. Add a sprig of parsley and set on table. Children love this one as much as adults!
- 6 tablespoons margarine (softened and melted)
- 1 (5 ounce) boxany dry hash brown potatoes
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 0.75 (2 7/8 ounce) can French fried onion rings (broken up)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- salt and pepper
- Mix everything in a bowl.
- Pour into greased 1½ quart casserole.
- Break up the remaining ¼ can onion rings and sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake covered, 350°F oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15 minutes more.
- Serve and enjoy!
I think the reason we didn't care for it was totally my fault. I misread the directions and didn't add margarine or cover it. I might give it a second chance, I mean after all it did win a ribbon.
Super easy. We enjoyed it. Will shorten cooking time a bit the next time I make it, but I am chalking that up to my oven. Thanks!
The family loved this one! It truly is a great dish and an easy, quick one. I used the cheddar flavored onion rings and added a couple dashes garlic salt to the mixture before baking. Wonderful taste. A keeper.