Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This will make your mouth water...mmmm. A family recipe only made at Christmas time and past down by my mother in-law. Can be made anytime though but beware you can't stop eating ...
- 236.59 ml flour
- 118.29 ml butter, room temperature
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 354.88 ml brown sugar
- 236.59 ml chopped walnuts or 236.59 ml pecans
- 236.59 ml shredded coconut
- 1.23 ml vanilla
- 29.58 ml flour
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- For Bottom Layer mix ingredients and press into 9 X 13 pan greased with butter Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- For Top: Mix ingredients together and spread on top of cooled bottom layer.
- Bake 350 F for 25 minutes till golden brown.
- Let cool till set and cut into squares.
I made these last night and even my husband, who doesn't exactly LOVE walnuts (or any nuts for that matter :)), agreed that it was delicious. I made a few changes though - I only had 1/2 cup of shredded walnut left over from Christmas so I substituted the other half with some chopped hazelnuts and chocolate chips (about 1/4 cup each). I also melted some chocolate and spread it on top of the chews when they were cool. Delicious! Thank you for this recipe, Valerie, I am sure I will make it again!
Just like sweet sticky, walnut buttertarts - in an easy bar form!!! - I added a little real maple syrup - and it was a hit. This is a really easy bar - try it
If you haven't tried these you haven't lived! They are so addicting! The kids begged me to make another batch when the first one was gone. These are going to be made often here for all of us to enjoy!