Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
My husband fishes often and I always try to come up with new ways to prepare what he catches. This is one of our all time favorites. I was told by family and friends it is fabulous!!! The lemon dill sauce recipe I am also submiting is a wonderful compliment. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb walleye, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can crab
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 -3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 pinch Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 dash Dijon mustard
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, to roll cakes in
- Mix all, form into small patties(smaller for appetizers/larger for entree), roll in crumbs, put on a well greased cookie sheet. Bake in oven on top rack at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, flipping once, until golden on both sides.
- Alternative: Instead of baking, I have also greased a pan and browned the cakes on the top of the stove. Medium heat. Just cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately with lemon dill sauce on the side.
These were unbelievable. No kidding. I think I could eat them every single day. I pan fried mine in a little olive oil. I also used just a frozen perch for the Walleye.
Fantastic variation! Growing up (and even still now) my family fishes for walleye all year around and have walleye just about weekly. It is nice to have a recipe that is not fired! <br/><br/>Putting the mixture together is easy and made a few adjustments...I added a handful of Parmesan cheese for a little extra flavor and to help stick things together, I also used imitation crab flakes, and omitted the mustard. I opted to pan fry and the cakes didn't seem to want to stay together. I'm not sure if it was their size or if the mixture was just too wet. However, that will not stop me from making these delicious bundles again! I highly recommend these and they will become a staple recipe for-sure!
I wanted to do something other "fry" the walleye my DH caught. I followed the recipe exactly and these were so good! My guys loved them, I will be making these again real soon! thanks for sharing,