Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another waistsaver recipe, low cal but tasty
- 2 small butternut squash, halved,lengthwise,seeded (about 1 lb each)
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons reduced-sugar orange marmalade
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons wheat germ, toasted
- Place squash halves, cut side down in a baking dish.
- Pour in 1/2" water and bake in 375f oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn the squash over and continue to bake for a further 15 minutes or until the squash are tender, set aside to cool until you can handle the squash.
- carefully scoop out the flesh leaving a 1/4" skin (do this the day ahead if you wish and refrigerate covered scooped).
- Increase oven to 400f degrees.
- Put the squash flesh, orange juice,milk& marmalade in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process until very smooth, Transfer the squash to a medium bowl.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Quickly but throughly fold the egg whites into the squash.
- Place the four skins on a baking sheet& spoon the squash into the four skins (if you wish you can bake the souffle in 4 ramekins or a one quart souffle dish if you do not want to use the skins).
- Sprinkle the tops with wheat germ and bake for apprx 15 minutes or until the souffles have risen and are golden brown on top.