- 3 eggs (seperated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Whip the egg whites until they form moist peaks.
- Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks.
- Beat in remaining ingredients with a rotary beater until smooth.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour batter from a cup or pitcher into the center of a hot waffle iron.
- Do not overfill the waffle iron, the batter will expand as it cooks.
- Bake about 5 minutes or until steaming stops.
- *Ifyou are in a hurry, you can eliminate this step and just use the whole egg in the batter.