Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
Inspired from cookbook "One Good Dish", Dave Tanis.
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 slices good quality artisan bread or 2 slices pumpernickel bread, etc
- 3 ounces fontina (or cheese of your choice) or 3 ounces gruyere (or cheese of your choice) or 3 ounces raclette cheese (or cheese of your choice) or 3 ounces aged cheddar cheese, sliced (or cheese of your choice)
- sea salt (optional)
- Heat a waffle iron. Butter the slices of bread. Place 1 slice butter side down on the waffle iron, layer on the cheese and top with the second bread slice, butter side up. Note: To the center with the cheese any other condiment you desire may be added at this time: mayonnaise, jam, cooked bacon, etc.
- Close the waffle iron and let the sandwich cook for about 2 minutes, until golden brown and crisp on the edges. Sprinkle with salt, if desired.