Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My family enjoys when I make these baked beans to go along side anything from Tri-tip to hot dogs. The sweet and spicy blend of brown sugar and pepper sauce make these canned baked beans *Kicked-Up*
- 2 (28 ounce) cans baked beans (Original)
- 1 lb thick sliced bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced dried onion
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Pickapeppa Sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- In a dutch oven or stock pot cook chopped bacon until translucent, not crispy. Add canned baked beans. Turn to Med-high heat and cook 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Add ketchup, pickapeppa sauce, cayenne pepper and minced onion. Simmer on Medium for 5 minutes. Add 3 Tablespoons Honey and continue to simmer for additional 10 minutes. Stirring often.
- Turn heat off and let beans sit. They will thicken.
- Beans can be refrigerated and heated when ready to serve.
Delicous! I had the honour of having the chef herself make this for us at a 4th of July get together, and we loved it. I now have my very own bottle of Pickapeppa sauce (I don't think I can get them here in Canada) so I'm going to try to make these myself very soon! :)
Chef~V made these for a picnic for friends (me included). I loved the flavor--it wasn't too picante but had some kick to it (evidently you can increase the pepper to increase the kick!). They made a great side dish to steak and a green salad.
Just had these over the 4th - a nice, flavorful and easy recipe. Perfect for get togethers along wtih anything grilled. :)