Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
We had this dish in a vietnamese restaurant recently its crunchy on the outside and the eggplant is soft like butter on the inside! Great for dinner parties or a great snack with cold beers.Sensational!
- mix freshly ground pepper and salt together set aside.
- peel eggplant and slice into finger sized pieces - not too thick.
- sift and mix flours with baking soda.
- add iced soda water slowly till consistency of pouring cream.
- heat oil in wok or deep fryer.
- dust eggplant with flour dip in batter thin coating
- fry in batches till golden.
- sprinkle with salt n pepper mixture.
- serve with wedges of limes
- optional add egg to flour for softer batter.
- add chili to batter for extra zing.
Ricky A great dish, well. I used grape seed oil to deep fry it in my wok. In the interests of Kaizen I made three simple modifications: 1. I substituted 1tsp of szechaun pepper (flower pepper, buy from and Asian grocery, heat it before grinding to release the flavours)for a tsp of the black peppercorns. I then dry fried both to release the aroma. These were then ground and added to the salt. 2. I used finger eggplants cut into 1/8th inch slices 3. I made the batter a bit thinner (like crap supermarket cheap cream) by adding another 50ml of soda. The end result was absolutely fantastic.