Recipe by La Dilettante
Every year about this time I can hardly get enough Vidalia onions! This is a favorite for breakfast, as it's not as "eggy" as quiche...just mellow sweet onion flavor baked in a hand-rolled short butter crust. This is one recipe that I won't use a pre-made commercial piecrust for! These are tasty party bites made in miniature muffin tins, too.
- 3 cups vidalia onions, sliced as thinly as possible
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- sea salt
- grated nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- pie crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Roll out crust, fit into glass or ceramic quiche or pie pan. Leave enough "overhang" to crimp attractively. Place in fridge to chill.
- Melt butter in heavy skillet, add onions, and cook until nicely browned and very soft, almost caramelized. Add kale and cook until just wilted. Add salt and nutmeg to taste.
- Cool slightly. Add cream and eggs, mix well. Put cheese in bottom of crust, pour onion mixture over, and bake at 400 until puffed and golden.
- Delicious served warm or cold!