1/2 Photos of Very Good Chocolate Cake
Shire Born's Note:
From "The Gift of Southern Cooking" by Edna Lewis & Scott Peacock. This cake is incredibly moist and rich! If you have any leftovers, don't refrigerate, simply cover and leave at room temperature.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Sift together the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a bowl. In a separate bowl, pour the hot coffee over the chopped chocolate, and allow chocolate to melt completely.
- 3In a separate bowl, whisk together until well blended the eggs and vegetable oil, followed by the sour cream, vanilla, and coffee-chocolate mixture. Stir the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients by thirds, stirring well after each addition until completely blended.
- 4Divide the batter evenly between two buttered and floured parchment-lined 9-inch cake pans. Drop each cake pan once onto the counter from a height of 3 inches to remove any air pockets (these would cause holes or tunnels in the baked cake layers.)
- 5Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until the cake springs back slightly when gently tapped in the center OR when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove immediately to cooling racks, and allow to rest for 5 minutes before turning out of the pans. Allow cakes to cool completely before peeling off the parchment bottoms and frosting.
- 6Enjoy the most moist, rich, chocolate chocolate cake you'll ever eat!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Very Good Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.1
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 39.4 mg
- Sodium 195.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 33.5 g
- Protein 4.0 g