Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a savory southern-style corn bread made without wheat flour. It's crusty and brown outside, light and moist inside. Can be made gluten-free by using GF certified corn meal, baking powder, bacon, etc. If using dried buttermilk powder, measure powder into dry ingredients, and use half milk and half water for liquid.
- 29.58-59.16 ml bacon fat or 29.58-59.16 ml shortening
- 473.18 ml regular yellow cornmeal
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 7.39 ml salt
- 14.79 ml honey
- 1 egg
- 354.88 ml buttermilk
- 3 slice cooked bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees F.
- Measure fat into a 10" cast iron skillet, and place in oven.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add buttermilk, egg, and honey. Add bacon, if using.
- Whisk well until thoroughly combined.
- Pour half of hot fat from skillet into batter, stir well. Pour batter into hot skillet, top with freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden and crusty, and the center is firm and bounces back when pressed.
This was a good side dish for our chili tonight. Easy to make. Cooking it in a skillet is fun. Made for PAC Fall 2012.