Recipe by cathyfood
This is a savory southern-style corn bread made without wheat flour. It's crusty and brown outside, light and moist inside. Can be made gluten-free by using GF certified corn meal, baking powder, bacon, etc. If using dried buttermilk powder, measure powder into dry ingredients, and use half milk and half water for liquid.
- 2 -4 tablespoons bacon fat or 2 -4 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups regular yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 slices cooked bacon, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees F.
- Measure fat into a 10" cast iron skillet, and place in oven.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add buttermilk, egg, and honey. Add bacon, if using.
- Whisk well until thoroughly combined.
- Pour half of hot fat from skillet into batter, stir well. Pour batter into hot skillet, top with freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden and crusty, and the center is firm and bounces back when pressed.