Prep 25 hrs
Cook 40 hrs
This is a good way to use up the venesion that your hubby, or if you like me just like the taste of Doe.
- 6 red sweet peppers
- 1 1⁄2 lbs venison, doe is prefered as it is not as strong as buck (not as many hormones in the meat)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (yes kosher don't cheapen up now)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half (sorry I have a heart condition and must eat low fat low cholesterol)
- 1⁄2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (Doc says I can use this stuff)
- french taco seasoning mix
- french chili seasoning mix
- 1⁄4 cup your favorite salsa
- kraft four-cheese Mexican blend cheese
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 shallots
- 1⁄2 cup cabernet sauvignon wine
- Clean out the peppers of the seeds and the white stuff.
- (cut about 1 inch out around the stem in a circle and lift out the bulk of the seeds with the stem. Use a spoon to remove the rest of the white stuff. Seeds can be removed by shaking pepper in upside down position.) place the olice oil,shallots and the garlic in large fry pan saute until the soft.
- Add in the venison and brown.
- Add the 1/2 of the chili mix and 1/2 of the taco mix (save the rest till next time) Add the sour cream, the half and half, salsa, salt, and the cabernet.
- Stir and simmer till thickened (like real thick veg. beef stew).
- Place the venison mixture in the cleaned peppers.
- For the ones with a good heart in the family.
- Fill a Pepper 1/2 full with the mixture and top with some cheese (as much or as little as you like) then finish filling the pepper Place stuffed peppers in the oven at 350 for about 30-45 minutes.
My husband is a hunter and he gets a deer or two every season ~ so we are always looking for different recipe's for venison. This is one of the absolute BEST venison recipe's I have ever tried! The only thing I did differently was use 4 cloves of garlic instead of 2. My husband and I like spicy food, so we substituted hot salsa for regular and hot taco/chili seasoning for regular. Spicy or not, this is a VERY tasty dish!! It has a permanent place in my recipe book :)
Excellent recipe for venison,esp. Liked the Mexican flavor it has.....A definite keeper recipe! BethMcc
This is very good. I made a casserole instead of stuffing the peppers. My family does not like wine so I used beef broth.