Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
After buying too many peppers (they were on they sale rack for 4 for $0.40!), I needed something low-protein to do with them. I couldn't find anything here or in my recipe books, so I varied a Julia Child recipe for stuffed tomatoes, and made the flavor strong enough to compete with the pepper flavor (my husband doesn't like peppers). The result was the following. Even my husband liked it!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 2 dried tomatoes, minced
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (or rice, polenta, or other grain)
- 7 1⁄4 ounces half a can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 bell peppers, stems removed, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a medium pan. Saute garlic and onion until onion is transucent.
- Add dried tomatoes,minced bell pepper,and breadcrumbs and saute until the bell pepper is softened.
- Add canned tomatoes a little at a time, allowing the liquid to be absorbed before adding more. Then add the pepper and mustard.
- Spoon mixture into the halved bell peppers, top with grated cheese, and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Top with parsley if desired.
- Note: I consider each half pepper to be two servings.
I wish it was a tad more flavorful but it's still delicious, lo-cal, and super easy.