1/2 Photos of Vegetarian Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice)
This is one of the best-known Indonesian dishes and one of the easiest to make. The garnishes give contrasting flavors and textures to the dish. Try it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 small cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded,and diced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 red peppers, cored,seeded,and diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1Cook the rice in boiling salted water for 12-15 minutes, until tender.
- 2Drain, rinse, and drain again.
- 3Stir in the tamarind paste and set aside.
- 4Heat 1 tbls.
- 5of the oil in a large skillet or wok, add the shallots, and cook for 3-5 minutes, until softened.
- 6Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, pepper flakes, and turmeric and cook gently, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 7Add the cabbage and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- 8Add the tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- 9Remove from pan.
- 10Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add the rice, and cook gently until lightly browned.
- 11Return the vegetables to the pan.
- 12Add the soy sauce and sugar and heat gently to warm through.
- 13Serve hot, garnished with tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber, celery, and omelet strips.
- 14Note: To make omelet strips: Whisk 2 eggs with plenty of salt and pepper.
- 15Melt 2 tbls butter in an omelet pan or small skillet.
- 16Add the eggs to the pan and cook until set.
- 17Leave to cool.
- 18Roll up the omelet and slice across into fine strips.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 412.6
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 72.1 mg
- Sodium 591.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: