Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 12 mins
Cook 0 mins
This was a basic veggie sandwich that I came across and tried. It was very bland and lack luster in it's original form. This is my revised version, it now has life, good taste and interest. One of these sandwiches will make lunch for DH and I.
- 3 slices bread, whole grain or 1 pita bread
- 1 large handful watercress (or similar green)
- 1 carrot, sm to med- peeled and coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons hummus
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout spice mix (Baharat will also work)
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
- Mix the watercress, carrot, lemon juice and olive oil and salt together.
- In a small bowl mix the hummus with the Ras el Hanout until nicely blended.
- Toast the bread or slice the pita in half.
- FOR BREAD:.
- Top 1 slice with some hummus mix, the watercress and carrot salad.
- Add with another slice of toast with some hummus and top with the tomato add some salt if you wish.
- Lay the final slice of bread, hummus side down, then press lightly and eat as is or cut the sandwich into quarters.
- USING A PITA:.
- Spread 1 Tbsp into each side of each half of the Pita.
- Place an equal amount of tomato slices in each half of the Pita.
- Stuff the carrot salad equally into each pita half.
WOW!! This is delicious!! The only problem was that between the 'salad' & the tomato, the pita got soggy & fell apart while eating. Pita #2, I blotted the tomato with paper towels & grained excess dressing from the salad. Eh, it was a bit better. But who cares? It is so delicious!! Adding ras el hanout to the hummus is brilliant. Oh, and it's healthy! After eating 2, i was so stuffed & happy that I took a nice nap. :) Made for NA/ME goes to Libya 10/12. (ps. the cashier rang my watercress up as parsley! nyuk nyuk - I didn't even notice until days later.)
I couldn't get ahold of watercress, so used parsley and put on whole grain toast. So good! I enjoyed all the flavors. Made up a small batch of ras el hanout. Thanks!