Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe from about.com substitutes yummy fresh mozzarella for the typical seafood. Posting for ZWT 7, South America, untried by me. Prep time includes both marinating times.
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 3 limes
- 1 red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup corn (choclo if available)
- 1 avocado
- 1⁄2 chili pepper (or other hot pepper)
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- salt and pepper
- Slice the onion very thinly into half-moon slices and place them in a bowl of salt water. Add the juice of 1 lime and leave them to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Chop the red pepper and place in a bowl with the corn.
- Finely chop the chile pepper and toss with the vegetables.
- Chop the avocado and mozzarella cheese into small (1/2 inch) cubes and add to the bowl.
- Drain the onions and add to the other vegetables. Toss the salad gently with the juice of the 2 remaining limes, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Marinate salad in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, covered with saran wrap.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro and toss the salad gently once more, incorporating the chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
What a nice alternative for those who do not like or cannot have seafood! The only caution is, this is not something that can be made too far ahead of time, the texture suffers.
This made a nice light salad for lunch today. I actually marinated the avocado in the lime water for a few minutes too, to keep it green. Yum! Thanks!