Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are a great lowfat, meatless manicotti that can be prepared in advance and kept frozen until ready to bake them. The Recipe comes from Stoneyfield Farm.
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 2 cups plain yogurt cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 12 manicotti, cooked
- 1 (32 ounce) jar pasta sauce or 1 (32 ounce) jar tomato sauce
- Using a yogurt cheese maker or layered cheesecloth, strain the whey from 1 quart of yogurt to make yogurt cheese; One quart of yogurt will yield approximately 2 cups of yogurt cheese.
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil, and cook manicotti shells until still slightly frim, being careful not to overcook, Drain shells, rinse in cold water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; In a 9x13-inch baking dish, coat the bottom of the dish with 4 tablespoons of the sauce; Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, fold vegetables, 1/2 cup mozzarella, herbs, salt, pepper and the eggs into the yogurt cheese; Using a spoon, gently fill the manicotti shells with the cheese and vegetable mixture and place them in the baking dish; Once all the shells have been filled, top manicotti with remaining sauce; Bake 25 minutes.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese and bake an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is golden, serve warm.
- Manicotti's may be frozen in zip lock bag and baked when needed.