Recipe by Heirloom Tomato
There are so many Split Pea Soup recipes... this one is slightly different. No ham, no bacon, no sausage, no butter, no oil... and it still tastes good.
- 1 lb split peas, rinsed and drained
- 9 cups water
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- celery, 1/2 cup diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs de provence seasoning
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put rinsed, drained split peas into your soup pot and add 9 cups water.
- Heat to boiling. Peas will foam up. Scoop foam off top and discard until foam stops forming.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, bay leaves, garlic and Herbs de Provence seasoning.
- When it comes to a boil, cover the pot, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes or until peas are very tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper at the end of cooking time.
- Puree or not, as you wish. I never do as I enjoy the rustic texture.