Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
There are so many Split Pea Soup recipes... this one is slightly different. No ham, no bacon, no sausage, no butter, no oil... and it still tastes good.
- 1 lb split peas, rinsed and drained
- 9 cups water
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- celery, 1/2 cup diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs de provence seasoning
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Put rinsed, drained split peas into your soup pot and add 9 cups water.
- Heat to boiling. Peas will foam up. Scoop foam off top and discard until foam stops forming.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, bay leaves, garlic and Herbs de Provence seasoning.
- When it comes to a boil, cover the pot, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes or until peas are very tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper at the end of cooking time.
- Puree or not, as you wish. I never do as I enjoy the rustic texture.