Split Pea, Barley and Ham Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A really hearty and satisfying comfort soup!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb dried split peas, rinsed
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (for richer soup) or 1 cup half-and-half (for richer soup)
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 2 cups cubed ham or 2 cups smoked turkey sausage
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, then add pepper, salt, pepper sauce and stir twice.
- Saute over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add rinsed split peas,barley,chopped carrots, garlic, bay leaves and saute another 2 minutes, stirring several times.
- Add chicken broth and the chopped ham or smoked turkey sausage.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, remove bay leaves,add milk or half and half and stir.
- Enjoy with warm, crusty bread.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION