Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This vegan queso is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I've only been a vegan for about two months and I'm having major cheese withdrawals, but this queso is the perfect fix! It can be used as a dip, spread, or sauce. Let me know what you think!
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons fat-free margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1 (5 ounce) can rotel (any kind you like, or you could use 1C of salsa instead)
- Combine dry ingredients first in a small saucepan.
- Add water.
- Whisk CONSTANTLY over medium heat until mixture is well incorporated. (If you don't constantly whisk it, the sauce will become lumpy!).
- Add margarine and Rotel and mix for about another minute or so.
I made an account here at food.com just to review this delicious queso! :)
It is absolutely the solution to my cheese cravings as a vegan. It's salty and cheesy and creamy... it really does taste like a gourmet queso. Y.U.M! Oh my goodness, so quick and easy and delicious. I was skeptical that it would taste like cheese, but it does. Doing a happy dance over here!
The only thing you should know is that the color is not "orangey" like other quesos and cheeses. Instead, it's a darker orange like the color of pumpkin pie. This is because of the paprika you add. Don't let that scare you, though, it is DELICIOUS!
I made this last night and it was amazing! It tastes and smells just like how I remember the real thing. It made a great sauce for nachos while warm, and it was still really good as a dip after being in the fridge. The only thing I would change for the next time I make it is cutting the salt down a little as it was almost too salty.
Just used this recipe (minus the Rotel/salsa) as a base for vegan Mac & cheese...delicious, versatile recipe!