Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious snack or tea cake.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin (or 2 cups fresh pumpkin cooked and mashed)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease an 8x8 baking pan. Line the bottom with wax paper.
- Place sugar, oil, syrup and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, spices and salt.
- In small alternating portions, add the flour mixture and pumpkin to the liquid ingredients. Begin and end with the flour mixture.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 55 minutes to an hour.
Absolutely divine. I would recommend doubling the amount of ginger in the recipe to add a bit more zing. It comes out like Jamaican Ginger Cake. Delish!