Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
I made a pie using this single pie crust and it turned out great. It makes 1-9" pie crust.
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour (I used King Arthur)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup earth balance vegan margarine (1 stick)
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- Using a whisk, combine the flour and salt. Cut the margarine in with a pastry cutter. You can use a food processor also.
- Add the ice water and form the dough into a disc.
- Roll the dough out between two sheets of wax paper. Peel one sheet off the dough and place it in your pie plate.
- Make sure you get all the air pockets out of the crust around the sides. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat your oven to 350'F.
- For the Blind Baking:.
- Put a piece of wax paper on top of the pie crust and weight it with dry beans or rice.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Then, remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Then remove the wax paper and weights.
- Prick the pie crust all over to make sure no air bubbles form.
- Put a foil lining around the edge of the pie to prevent it from burning and pop it back into the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Cool it thoroughly and add your prepared filling.
- Of course you can use this with uncooked pie fillings as well. Just follow the directions. You can double this recipe if you need to have a top for your pie.
- Bon Appetit!