Recipe by Enjolinfam
Yummy and Healthy! This recipe came from a cooking show done by Cinda Sanner on 3 Angel's Broadcasting Network. She has recipe books out, but I'm not sure which one has this delicious dish in it. I made this for two potlucks and everyone loved it both times. I used the vegan cornbread recipe posted on ZAAR by Vino Girl. Tastes great served with our creamy vegan mashed potatoes. Update: If you do use Vino Girl's Vegan Cornbread like I do for the topping, double it to give it the thick cornbread layer like shown in my picture. Otherwise its just a thin crust.
Top Review by JensKitchen40
One of our favorites even though we are a meat eating family! It is very inexpensive meal with lots of flavor, it make huge amounts (so plenty for us to have another meal for lunch the next day). Follow the recipe or make changes as the others have - either way, you can't go wrong!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chicken-flavored vegetarian seasoning
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced into large pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes, diced (grape tomatoes are nice)
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained, not rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- cornbread batter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, steam the onion in the 1 cup of water until the onion is clear.
- Add the carrots, garlic and red bell pepper and continue to cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Let simmer over low heat for 5 -10 minutes.
- Spread a 13” x 9” baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray and pour the mixture into the dish.
- Cover with you favorite cornbread recipe and bake according to the cornbread directions until the cornbread is golden brown and completely baked through. Serve hot.