Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe came from "How it all Vegan" and it turned out beatifully. When I made this pie, I made two pie crusts in order to have enough to make a lattice for the top. It was oh so pretty! I found that the wheat flour thickens up the filling--the first time I made this pie, it was very liquidy, but still yummy. Enjoy and happy cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare apples.
- Boil water in a large pot and add apples and raisins.
- Turn down heat to medium and simmer apples and raisins for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Save 1/4 cup of water used for cooking apples for later use.
- Drain apples and place in large bowl.
- Mix apples with maple syrup, cinnamon, and lemon juice.
- Set aside.
- In a saucepan, add"applewater" and corn starch.
- Stir continuously until mixture is thick, then add to apple mix.
- Lastly, add whole wheat flour to mixture.
- Stir well and carefully.
- Pour final mixture into the pie crust and bake on 350 for 30 minutes, or until brown.
SUCH a fantastic recipe. My husband is a pie expert (he is not vegan) and said it was really good pie. I also found the corn starch/arrowroot mixture way too thick and added (by feel) more water. The pie still turned out great i.e. not too thick and not too runny. I am making another pie as I write this. Oh, and the pie crust of yours was also amazing. I used vegan Earth Balance instead of shortening. Thank you. This is a keeper!
This was SO good. However, I found the applewater/cornstarch mixture too thick. Next time I will add it to the apple mix without cooking it first.
Great and Yummy Vegan pie recipe! Very easy to make! I used her pie crust recipe too but used all wheat flour. . .I will try the all-purpose flour next time but crust is another easy recipe too!