Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A basic "custard style" vanilla ice cream. Premium quality vanilla extract should be used for best flavor. Prep times do not include cooling/freezing times.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract (not imitation!)
- Beat eggs very well with a mixer, gradually add sugar beat until thick and lemon colored.
- Stir in milk and heat, stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool mixture.
- Add cream and vanilla, cover and chill mixture.
- Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufactures directions.
Perfect amount of sweetness - this will now be my standard vanilla ice cream recipe - even Haagen Dazs doesn't compare. Of course you can substitute other sweeteners such as honey or maple syrup for the sugar, but whatever you do, you must cook on the stove, never microwave or it will curdle.
i must say it, this recipe was delicious, i added my own twist to it by infusing lavender into the whole milk in the beginning, and then cooling that. Once i had my eggs and sugar combined i added the whole milk in and heated it and stirred more dried lavender in for appearance and texture. Then when i got everything mixed and out of the ice cream maker (in soft serve consistency) and swirled in some home made black berry sauce, and froze it over night... It was to die for!
Wonderful recipe. I only got one scoop of this before my family wolfed the rest.