Recipe by Bev
You can use the base of this recipe to make almond and/or vanilla buttercream frosting. The vanilla works wonderfully with most any cake flavor. The almond is highly recommended with a chocolate or devil's food cake. Note that the entire recipe makes 7 1/2 cups of frosting. I discovered this recipe in Bon Appetit, 2004.
- 3 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 10 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (2 1/2 to 2 3/4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops yellow food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- For base frosting:.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sugar, then cream and vanilla.
- If making both frostings: Divide between 2 bowls.
- For vanilla frosting:.
- Mix 1 teaspoon vanilla into 1 bowl of base frosting.
- For almond frosting:.
- Mix almond extract into second bowl of base frosting. Mix in yellow food coloring, 1 drop at a time, until desired shade is reached.