You can use the base of this recipe to make almond and/or vanilla buttercream frosting. The vanilla works wonderfully with most any cake flavor. The almond is highly recommended with a chocolate or devil's food cake. Note that the entire recipe makes 7 1/2 cups of frosting. I discovered this recipe in Bon Appetit, 2004.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 10 1/2 cups powdered sugar (2 1/2 to 2 3/4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops yellow food coloring
- 1For base frosting:.
- 2Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- 3Gradually beat in sugar, then cream and vanilla.
- 4If making both frostings: Divide between 2 bowls.
- 5For vanilla frosting:.
- 6Mix 1 teaspoon vanilla into 1 bowl of base frosting.
- 7For almond frosting:.
- 8Mix almond extract into second bowl of base frosting. Mix in yellow food coloring, 1 drop at a time, until desired shade is reached.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla and Almond Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (2006 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1330.9
- Calories from Fat 682
- Total Fat 75.8 g
- Saturated Fat 48.0 g
- Cholesterol 203.4 mg
- Sodium 15.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 168.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 164.6 g
- Protein 0.9 g