Recipe by origamifreak
Upstate NY recipe from Chanatry’s supermarket
Top Review by Chef Edlear
Excellent greens. Easy to follow recipe. Sometimes I use hard salami instead of prosciutto. I've had these made with romaine instead of escarole, and always plan on buying that if my store doesn't have any escarole, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm used to a drier greens, so I cut the broth in half, but pretty much follow every other suggestion. Thanks for sharing this local specialty!
- 1 large escarole (or 2 small heads)
- 4 slice prosciutto, thin slices, chopped
- 1-2 garlic clove, chopped
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 long italian hot peppers, seeded & julienned
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 59.14 ml pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste (at the very end)
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and rinse escarole twice; chop in large pieces.
- Boil down for 5 or 6 minutes so it’s tender and wilted.
- Place olive oil in a saute pan and heat.
- Add chopped garlic and prosciutto and render for 2 or 3 minutes. Do not burn garlic.
- Add seeded peppers and cook another minute or so.
- Add the escarole and all the other ingredients in the pan.
- Gradually add the bread crumbs and grated cheese, tossing gently until blended.
- Taste for final salt and pepper seasoning.
- Place in a casserole; sprinkle a little of the bread crumbs and place under a broiler for 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.