1/1 Photo of User Friendly Onigiri
1 hr 40 mins
My DH and roommate both love sushi, and hate the fact that I don't like nori so I won't learn to make Japanese food for them at home. After looking around here and doing some playing around in the kitchen yesterday, this is what I came up with: onigiri using an Asian flavored version of my User Friendly Meatballs (User Friendly Meatballs). My picky picky DD told me to keep this recipe, so I am posting it. :) I had ground beef on hand, but you could use any ground meat (pork sounds really yummy).
My Private Note
rice ba ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine beef, crackers, and 1 T. of the dressing in a bowl. Heat remaining dressing in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- 2Roll the meat mixture into little meatballs, 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter.
- 3Cook meatballs in skillet for 8 minutes, turning occasionally.
- 4Drain any extra fat off. Add beef stock, and simmer uncovered on low for 5 minutes.
- 5When meatballs are done, put them in a bowl and pour the sauce over them. Refrigerate while you cook and season the rice.
- 6When you are ready to roll, have meatballs, rice, a bowl of salty water to dip your hands in to keep the rice from sticking, and a plate for the finished rice balls in front of you.
- 7Take about 1/4 cup of rice in your hand and shape it into a flat rectangular shape.
- 8Place a meatball on top of the rice, and then wrap the rice around it.
- 9Pat the rice into place, and then gently squeeze the ball together, not compressing the rice, just getting extra air and moisture out so the rice sticks to the meatball.
- 10Repeat about 19 times. This took me a while, but I imagine you can get faster with practice. (I include the time for cooking the sushi rice in the cook time).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for User Friendly Onigiri
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.7
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 135.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 14.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: