1 hr 10 mins
For this cake you will need a well-seasoned 10-inch cast iron skillet or a nonstick oven-proof skillet, with an oven-proof handle, I make all of my up-side down cakes in a cast iron skillet, and I would really suggest to use one if you have one. Although this may look like a lot of prep, it really takes little effort to make this oustanding moist cake, you will be making this all of the time, it is one of the best upside-down cakes I have made, and I have made many! This is a great cake to make ahead to serve to your guests after a fancy holiday dinner, although I would suggest to make two of these cakes if you are serving more than 6 people.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 firm pears, peeled and cored and cut into 8 wedges (cut EACH pear into 8 wedges, you should have 24 wedges in all)
- 59.14 ml butter
- 177.44 ml light brown sugar
- 1Melt butter in a skillet (the same sillet you will be making the cake in) over medium heat; reduce to low, then sprinkle brown sugar over the bottom of the skillet and cook WITHOUT stirring for 3 minutes (not all of the sugar will be melted).
- 2Then arrange the pear slices decoratively over the sugar and cook without touching for 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- 3To make the cake: set oven to 350 degrees, and set oven rack to middle position.
- 4Mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in a bowl.
- 5Whisk together molasses and boiling water in a small bowll.
- 6Beat together butter, brown sugar and egg in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy (about 2 minutes).
- 7Alternatley mix in flour mixture and molasses on low speed.
- 8Pour the batter over the pear topping in the skillet, spreading evenly (be careful not to disturb pears).
- 9Bake for about 40-50 minutes.
- 10Cool cake in skillet on a rack for 5 minutes.
- 11Run a thin knife around edge of skillet then invert a large plate with a "lip" over the skillet and press tightly together.
- 12Invert cake onto plate.
- 13Replace any pears that stick to skillet.
- 14Serve warm or room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Upside-Down Pear Gingerbread Cake
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 791.7
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 96.2 mg
- Sodium 628.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 139.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 83.6 g
- Protein 7.0 g