Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs 40 mins
This method is for an 6-9 pound roast, do not use this recipe for a roast that is over 9 pounds --- never fuss over your prime rib again, cook for 20 minutes,turn oven down to a low temp and forget about it for 8 hours, but remember DO NOT open the oven door while the roast is cooking at a low temperature...tape it shut!
- prime rib roast (6-9 pounds)
- 6 large garlic cloves (sliced in half, or use as many as desired)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or use seasoned salt, use no more than 1 teaspoon or the salt will draw out the moisture from the me)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (optional)
- Cut small slits all over in the roast and stuff the garlic cloves in the slits; cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days.
- Remove the roast from the refrigerator for 2-3 hours before cooking to bring to almost room temperature (this is an important step!).
- Set oven to 500 degrees .
- Sprinkle the roast with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the roast on top of a rack and then in a pan.
- Place in oven, and roast at 500 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to the LOWEST setting.
- Leave in the oven for 8 hours (DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR for the 8 hours!).
- Before serving, turn the oven temperature up to 350 degrees and cook roast for 20 minutes at that temperature.
- Remove the roast and let sit for 30 minutes before slicing.
One of the best Prime Rib Roasts I ever had. Spectacular and so simple!
Outstanding! This is the perfect way to prepare a no fuss roast. I used a 3 bone, 9 pound prime rib. It was perfect-medium rare to rare. Thanks Kittencal!