Recipe by Little Italy
This recipe is from Carpungnino, a small Italian town where there is a statue of a cat holding an umbrella. This pays tribute to the Ombrellai, or umbrella makers of this town. This makes for a tasty meal with some bruschetta.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Really can't go wrong, excellent recipe, enjoyed the subtle taste of rosemary! I would love to see the cat with an umbrella :) Dinner was much enjoyed, thank you, made for Cooking Mania Tag, October 2013
- 3 1⁄2 ounces pancetta (or prosciutto)
- 7 garlic cloves
- 2 rosemary sprigs (leaves only)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 lb plum tomato (seeded, peeled, and passed through a food mill OR 4 cups Bellissima Salsa Di Pomodoro #124000)
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb penne pasta (dry)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince the prosciutto, garlic, and rosemary leaves together. Cook the mixture over medium heat until the prosciutto just starts to brown.
- Fold in the tomatoes, (OR Bellissima Salsa Di Pomodoro #124000 sauce) flavor with salt, and bring to gentle boil. Cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes on low heat or until it has reduced to a coating consistency.
- Boil and cook penne until al dente. Drain, and return to pot. Stir in the tomato sauce and heavy cream, and spread evenly on the penne.
- Serve hot. Add chili flakes and extra salt if desired.