This dough is made of potato and flour, and filled with potato and cheddar cheese. Potatoes added to the dough make the dough very soft. There are probably as many versions of varenyky as there are Ukrainian moms.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups warm mashed potatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE DOUGH
- 1PREPARE THE FILLING FIRST: Saute the onion in the butter until softened, about 6 minutes.
- 2Combine with the potatoes and cheese and mix well.
- 3Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Let cool thoroughly before using.
- 5(The filling can be made a day ahead and kept covered and refrigerated.
- 6Bring to room temperature before using.).
- 7TO MAKE THE DOUGH: Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- 8Add the egg yolks, mashed potatoes, melted butter and just enough of the water to form a medium-soft dough.
- 9Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. (Too much kneading will make the dough tough.).
- 10Divide the dough in half and cover with an inverted bowl.
- 11Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 12Roll out the dough until it is quite thin and cut rounds about 2 to 3 inches wide with a large biscuit cutter.
- 13Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a little salt.
- 14To each round of dough, add a spoonful of filling ad fold over to form a half circle.
- 15Press the edges together with well floured fingers, making sure the varenyky are well sealed.
- 16Transfer them to a lightly floured surface and cover them with a clean tea towel so that they do not dry out.
- 17Drop a few at a time into the boiling water, stirring gently with a wooden spoon to separate them and keep them from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- 18Boil for 3 to 4 minutes, at which point they should be puffed and bobbing on the surface.
- 19(The thinner the dough and the smaller the pyrohy, the quicker they will cook.).
- 20Transfer with a slotted spoon to a colander, drain thoroughly and place in a warmed bowl.
- 21Drizzle with melted butter and toss gently to keep them from sticking together.
- 22Cover and keep warm while you cook the remaining varenyky.
- 23Serve with fried onions and sour cream. Serve hot. Makes 4 serving.
- 24Great Potatoes.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ukrainian Zenia’s Potato Varenyky (perogies, Pyrohy)
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.1
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 142.1 mg
- Sodium 1176.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 15.7 g