Recipe by Olha
A nice cake to make when strawberries are in season. Great for Birthdays or any special event.
- sponge cake
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half (half milk and half cream)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry jam
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- MAKE THE CAKE: Sift the flour with the baking powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy; gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff and meringuelike.
- In a small bowl, beat the yolks until frothy; fold the yolks and flour into the egg whites just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the centers spring bake when touched.
- Cool in the pans on a wire rack (centres of the cakes may sink slightly).
- TO PREPARE THE CUSTARD FILLING, in a small nonreactive saucepan, mix the egg yolks, butter, cornstarch, half and half, and sugar.
- Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Remove from the heat, cover, and COOL.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE, cut the layers horizontally, making 4 layers in all.
- Place the bottom layer on a cake plate and spread with half the custard.
- Top with the next layer.
- Spread with the jam.
- Reserve a few of the nicest strawberries for garnish on top of the cake, then slice the remainder and arrange on top of the jam layer.
- Top with a third layer of cake.
- Spread with the remaining custard.
- Top with the remaining layer of cake.
- No more than 1 hour before serving, make the topping.
- Whip the cream and flavour with the confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
- Pile whipped cream on top of the cake and garnish with the reserved berries.
- Makes about 16 servings.