Recipe by aspiring gourmet1
For those of us watching our calories and carbs, turnips make an excellent alternative to potatoes. A 4 ounce turnip has only about 40 calories and a negligible impact on blood sugar levels. Turnips are available year round, but the best ones are available from late summer thru mid autumn.
- 2 large turnips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons spice hunter poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the stem end from turnips. Rub each with olive oil and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Bake for approximately 90 minutes or until insides are soft enough to scoop out.
- Scoop out insides of each turnip, leaving the shell intact. Mash & whip the insides with the sour cream, spices and seasonings. When the insides are a creamy consistency, carefully spoon them back into shells. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees and bake the stuffed turnips for 20-30 minutes until heated thru.