Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from tips for sweet potatoes in Fine Cooking 11/06. Great for using leftover baked sweet potatoes in their jackets. nt
- Saute chopped shallots in olive oil until they soften and begin to caramelize; do not burn.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out soft flesh.
- Mash sweet potatoes in a bowl with cooked shallots, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Stir in crumbled bacon and grated cheese.
- Fill empty potato shells with mixture.
- Bake at 375F for 45 minutes to one hour, or until potatoes are hot and toasty on top.
I used freshly snipped chives to add a color variant for the photo, but otherwise was faithful to your recipe. I had a presentation issue unrelated to the recipe. I wrapped the potatoes in foil to bake. Just as they finished baking yesterday, we got an unexpected invite to join friends for dinner & I put the potatoes in the fridge. When I got them out today to complete the recipe, their jackets literally fell away from the cooked flesh. So I completed the recipe & baked the mixture in gratin dishes. All that said to explain the photo, I should tell you my DH is very fond of twice-baked potatoes but I have never made them w/sweet potatoes. Per DH, *Well worth 5 stars and I will be happy to see these potatoes on my plate as often as you can fix them* â€“ high praise from one who reveres potatoes & ensures they will be repeated. Made for Photo Tag & thx for sharing this keeper recipe w/us.
Loved this. I only made one but was so good. Served with steak and broccoli salad.
Yummy. Had to sub the shallots and cheese, didn't have them on hand. Otherwise, the only thing I did different, was to scoop out to 1/4 inch from skin, then bake the shell for 15 minutes before filling. Holds together better. Will be making again.