Recipe by Marie
AWESOME potatoes! Cook time includes both baking the potatoes and the 20 minutes finishing time at end of recipe.
Top Review by Miss Liz in PDX
This is one of the BEST recipes I have found on this site! I bake the potatoes for more like 45 minutes after i take the garlic out so that they bake for about 90 minutes and then i empty and mash them up. Make sure to use a potato masher if you have one so that everything is nice and creamy before you stuff them! I make it for EVERYONE that comes over to dinner!
- 1 head garlic
- 4 medium russet baking potatoes
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut off and discard top third of garlic and wrap remainder in foil.
- Prick potatoes with a fork and bake with garlic on middle rack of oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove garlic to cool and continue baking potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes more.
- Squeeze garlic cloves into a bowl and discard skins.
- Stir in butter, sour cream and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise, removing top fourth of each potato and discard.
- Scoop out potatoes and add to cheese mixture.
- Mash with a fork to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and divide among potato shells.
- Arrange potatoes in a small baking pan and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake until heated through, about 15 to 20 minutes.