Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
AWESOME potatoes! Cook time includes both baking the potatoes and the 20 minutes finishing time at end of recipe.
- 1 head garlic
- 4 medium russet baking potatoes
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut off and discard top third of garlic and wrap remainder in foil.
- Prick potatoes with a fork and bake with garlic on middle rack of oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove garlic to cool and continue baking potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes more.
- Squeeze garlic cloves into a bowl and discard skins.
- Stir in butter, sour cream and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise, removing top fourth of each potato and discard.
- Scoop out potatoes and add to cheese mixture.
- Mash with a fork to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and divide among potato shells.
- Arrange potatoes in a small baking pan and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake until heated through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
This is one of the BEST recipes I have found on this site! I bake the potatoes for more like 45 minutes after i take the garlic out so that they bake for about 90 minutes and then i empty and mash them up. Make sure to use a potato masher if you have one so that everything is nice and creamy before you stuff them! I make it for EVERYONE that comes over to dinner!
I made this to go with chicken fried steak and gravy tonight and it was very good! I didn't have all cheddar cheese so added some Parmesan, Asiago, Romano mixed cheeses. Delicious! Thanks Marie!