Recipe by senseicheryl
I found this recipe in a cookbook from 1979 called "A Collection of the Very Finest Recipes ever assembled into one Cookbook." I haven't tried it yet but it sounded interesting. Let me know what you think!
Top Review by La Dilettante
This is the classic "back-of-the-box" Chex Mix, and it is the ONE thing I can NOT keep around, because I am utterly helplessly in love with it, and will happily eat the entire batch. I never make it the same way twice---sometimes I throw in Tabasco sauce, sometimes some taco seasoning, or go "healthy" and sub olive oil for butter---it's fabulous any way you vary it!
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 1 cup Wheat Chex
- 1 cup Rice Chex
- 1 1⁄2 cups thin pretzels
- 1 cup Spanish peanut
- 1⁄2 cup mixed nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- The above proportions can be increased or decreased according to family preferences.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Melt butter and add flavorings.
- Place the mixture of cereals, pretzels and nuts in large shallow pan.
- Pour butter mixture over the cereal mixture.
- Place in the oven and heat for 1 1/2 hours mixing occasionally.