Recipe by Parrot Head Mama
A neat idea for gift giving or for those special occasions where you want to "dress up" plain old chocolate covered strawberries. Very easy and relatively inexpensive, especially compared to the store-bought ones. **yield stated below depends on how many of the strawberries are good enough to use, per carton**
Top Review by Kathy(
So cute! I cut out this recipe from a magazine years ago, but never made it. When I saw it on Zaar a few months ago, I promised myself I would make this recipe for Valentine's Day. I added some canola oil to the chocolate so it would melt nicely for dipping. I also injected a little Grand Marnier into the strawberries. Piping the bow ties and buttons is a bit tricky and the chocolate needs to be a little cooler for that task -- something I figured out after my piping was done. Thanks for posting this recipe!
- 2 quarts of firm large strawberries
- 2 (12 ounce) bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 (6 ounce) boxes white chocolate or 2 (6 ounce) boxes almond bark
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash strawberries and dry well with a paper towel.
- Prepare a large baking sheet by lining with waxed paper.
- In a medium sized, microwave-safe bowl, break up white chocolate into small pieces and melt, on medium power (my microwave I used 60% power) for approximately 4-6 minutes, checking and stirring every 2 minutes or so (we don't want the chocolate to burn). Remove from microwave and dip strawberries one at a time, holding each berry by the stem/leaves, and dipping right up to the base of the stem/leaves. Place on baking sheet/waxed paper and repeat for all strawberries.
- Place sheet in refrigerator til white chocolate sets, about 15-20 minutes.
- In another medium sized bowl, melt chocolate chips, using same time frame and power level as above (60%, 4-6 minutes). Grasp strawberries by stems again, dipping one side into the chocolate, then the other side, so that the brown chocolate makes a "V" shape visible from the front of the strawberry.
- Now, with a toothpick, "paint" on 2 or 3 buttons and a bow tie at the top of the berry (near the stem) with the brown chocolate.
- Cool on the baking sheet/waxed paper, in refrigerator, til chocolate is set. Strawberries will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator.