Recipe by lazyme
This is a fun and tasty way to prepare turkey on the grill. From the Ultimate Grill Cookbook.
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove turkey neck and giblets; discard large lumps of fat.
- With poultry shears or a knife, split turkey lengthwise along one side of backbone.
- Pull turkey open; place, skin side up, on a flat surface and press firmly, cracking breastbone slightly, until bird lies reasonably flat.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- (At this point, you may cover and refrigerate until next day).
- Before cooking, squeeze 1 to 2 lime halves and rub over turkey; sprinkle with oregano, then lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Barbecue turkey by indirect heat placing turkey, skin side up, on a lightly greased grill directly above drip pan.
- Cover barbecue and adjust dampers as necessary to maintain an even heat.
- Cook turkey until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh (not touching the bone), registers 185ºF or until meat near thighbone is no longer pink; cut to test (1 1/-2 hours).
- Every 30 minutes, squeeze 1 to 2 lime halves and rub over turkey.
- Transfer turkey to platter.
- To carve, cut off wings and slice breast.
- Cut off legs and slice meat from thighs.