Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A terrific way to use up turkey feast leftovers from the wonderful Rachael Ray. Chicken would make an excellent substitution for turkey.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 4 cups cooked turkey, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove one sheet of puff pastry from the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by combining the leftover mashed potatoes, shredded turkey, chili powder, parsley, cilantro, salt and freshly ground black pepper in a bowl.
- Once the dough has defrosted, use a little flour to roll out the dough to about 1/8 of an inch thick and cut it in half horizontally.
- Cut each half vertically into 3 equal pieces; you should have 6 squares.
- Place 1/3 cup of the turkey/potato mixture in the middle of each square.
- Fold over each square so one corner meets the other, making a triangle.
- Press the sides down using a fork or pinch with your fingers (if they don't stick, moisten them slightly).
- Repeat with the other five.
- Lay them out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush empanadas with the egg wash so they will get nice and brown.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden.
- Serve either hot or cold.
We made this tonight from leftovers. It was really good. One change I would make when making these again would be to add abit of cheese, because everything is better with cheese!!! The great thing is that since there is just the 2 of us and these are such large portions, we have some meals to freeze! Thanks for posting this recipe from my request. I love recipezaar members!!