Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Excellent spicy dish.
Make and share this Tunisian Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups uncooked couscous
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cubed
- 1 large green pepper, cubed
- 1 large zucchini, cubed
- 2 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 14 ounces chickpeas
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili paste or 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Saute onion and olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add tomato paste, chickpeas, and 1 cup of water, and allow to boil for 15 minutes.
- Cut vegetables, place them into pot, add 4 1/4 cup of water, and bring to a boil. Allow to cook for 30-45 minutes, or until veggies are cooked.
- To prepare couscous, place it into a colander or sifter, replacing about 1 cup water with tomato sauce. (NOTE: I used couscous that only needed to sit in hot water for 5 minutes to cook. When doing so, I used 1 cup water and 1 cup of the sauce).
- Place couscous in a large bowl, pour some of the sauce over it, and arrange vegetables on top.
I'm just leaving a comment here as I felt there were too many loose ends to make this recipe as posted (sorry me2006 but I wasn't exactly sure about some of the instructions: e.g. chickpeas - canned, drained or dried weight, no mention of when to add the spices and the cooking time for the vegetables seems too long). However I loved the idea of this dish, so made a similar tomato/chickpea sauce using the spices specified (albeit in slightly smaller quantities)and served it with plain couscous and lightly steamed vegetables. The harissa, tomato paste and spices worked wonderfully together to produce a great tasting sauce, which I will definately make again.