Recipe by Nif
This dish is a little different than most Tunisian carrot salads, which are mashed. Lots of flavour and easy to make, this is great with one of the many Tunisian meat dishes. Also, even though it is called a salad, it is cooked and then served at room temperature. Enjoy! :)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (I like regular parsley)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook carrots in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Stir oil, cumin and cayenne in heavy large skillet over medium heat until aromatic,about 30 seconds. Add carrots, then 1/2 cup water and vinegar. Simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat. Cool. Mix in cilantro. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.