Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
These elegant dessert shells are from Good Housekeeping. Easy to whip up and you can keep some on hand for last minute guests. Wrap well and store for up to a week. Fill with ice cream, sorbet, lemon curd, fresh fruit, strawberry mousse, or a variation of Lemon Cream or Limoncello and Lemon Cream Fruit Tart. Notice how you bake 2 cookies at a time, and think the batter for each amount is a heaping tablespoon. Even wonder if cinnamon might be interesting in this.
- 3 egg whites, large
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted NO SUBSTITUTIONS
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease large cookie sheet.
- In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat egg whites, confectioners' sugar, and flour until well blended.
- Beat in melted butter, vanilla, and salt.
- Make TWO cookies by dropping batter by heaping tablespoons, 4 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- With narrow metal spatula, spread batter to form 4 inch rounds.
- Bake cookies until golden around edges, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place two 2 inch diameter glasses UPSIDE DOWN on work surface. Guessing that the glasses should be short squatty ones.
- With spatula, quickly lift 1 hot cookie and gently shape over bottom of glass.
- Shape a second cookie.
- When cookies are cool, transfer to wire rack. (If cookies become too firm to shape, return them to cookie sheet and place in oven to soften slightly.).
- REPEAT steps five through 11 with remaining batter. (Batter will become slightly thicker upon standing.).
- Store tulipes in single layer in airtight container at room temperature.
- To serve, place on dessert plate and fill with your choice of filling.
Thanks to Pic A Chef I picked this recipe to make.
I can see myself using this recipe for so many interesting desserts.
For ours I chose to put my Light chocolate pudding, topped with strawberries in ours.
What a great recipe to make and surprise your guests with.