Trout Breakfast on a Brook for two
knapsack filled with
- 1 liter fresh water
- 4 tea bags
- 4 slices of homemade bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
In a gallon ziplock bag
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- salt and pepper
Another smaller plastic bag
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 3 slices salt pork, notched,1/4 inch
- Catch and clean 6 eight inch brook trout.
- Remove heads.
- Light camping stove and boil water in can.
- Add teabags and set aside.
- Place salt pork in pan and fry out slowly until browned.
- Meanwhile, drink your tea, be quiet and listen.
- Remove cooked pork, dredge trout in flour and place trout in pan of hot fat.
- Because the trout are fresh, they are going to curl up the minute they hit the pan but you can try to hold them down w/ a fork anyway.
- Sprinkle both sides w/ S&P when turning.
- Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Outside should be crispy and inside tender.
- Reheat your tea.
- Run a knife down the side of the trout following the line nature put there.
- Remove the meat on either side of cut.
- Hold fish secure and starting at the front, remove the rest of the bones from the fish.
- Repeat 5 x's.
- Serve trout w/ bread, butter, and hot tea.
- Don't talk.
- just listen.
- (After 30 min or so pack garbage in gallon ziplock, wash out pan using crumbled tin foil and head for home).